Friday, May 27, 2011

Levi (Matthew), I choose you...

The other day I was spending time with the Lord in the book of Mark. I felt this rush of creativity come over me and I wanted to write. I was taken by the fact that when Jesus called His disciples, they didn't hesitate to follow Him immediately, even when they knew nothing about Him.

I saw in Mark 2 when Jesus "saw Levi...and said to him, 'Follow me.' And he rose and followed Him," and I immediately wondered what could have possibly been going through Jesus' mind and Levi's mind. So...I wrote this from Jesus' perspective.

***

"I knew you before the beginning of time. I knit you together in your mother's womb. I fashioned you and chose your every wrinkle. I knew each hair on your head, and I still do--even though you've lost a few.

I placed you into a family--not just any family--a family of tax collectors who lived in Capernaum by the sea. I sustained you as you hated me and sinned against me in your heart of stone. I gave you breath as you went from house to house collecting money that wasn't yours. I ordered your steps to the tax booth that day. I even allowed your legs to bend so you could sit there and wait for me.

You had no clue. You were sick and in need of a doctor. You needed a heart transplant. In fact, you were dead and needed to be brought to life.
So, when I saw you at the tax booth, I wasn't surprised you saw me too. In the midst of the noisy crowd our eyes met. I looked at you, even through you, and said, "Follow me." You rose and followed me and that, was it. I made you for that moment.

Levi, I chose you before you ever were. I used you to introduce me to the table of tax collectors and sinners for my glory. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners, and you happened to be one of them. One whom I chose and whom I love. This was the plan from the beginning. I knew you wouldn't question me when I said 'Follow me,' for I am the Lord of Lords and I have called you. Don't ask me why I chose a tax collector. You will soon see why. I will open your understanding that my blood covers all. And even when I go, keep following me. And you will because I lose none that the Father has given me."