Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Confession

I have a confession. Well, I actually have two. One: I'm breaking my own coffee shop rule, and today I am at a coffee shop I've already visited. Two: It's raining and I like it.

For all of you who know me, you know that typically I don't like the rain. However, when living in Minnesota, if it is raining, it means it's not snowing (and the promise of spring may be around the corner). So, today I welcome the rain. As I sit here with my cup of coffee and watch the drizzle of rain coat the window, I dwell on God's graciousness on us all.

Matthew 5:44-46 "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?"

God's common grace has never been so evident to me these days. The same pleasures I enjoy day by day as a believer, my unbelieving friend also enjoys. The difference is that I enjoy them for the glory of God. My unbelieving friend enjoys them for the satisfaction they give. So as this beautiful rain falls on me, it also falls on my neighbor. Both of us deserve God's wrath, but he withholds it and we take another breath and enjoy another rain drop. How gracious is our God?!

This morning I woke up and instead of opening my eyes and grumbling that I needed to get out of bed before my alarm clock went off one more time, I rolled over and thanked the Lord for the breath in my lungs. I'm not telling you this so you can see any type of sanctification the Lord may be doing in my heart, I'm telling you this to encourage you to give glory to God in the simple things. Breathing, drinking coffee, walking, eating tasty food (or even untasty for that matter), watching the rain, etc. ...are all possible only by the grace of God. Today I am thankful that I know from where all things come. I praise God for the simple things today!

1 comment:

Jen Stutzman said...

Great post. Thanks for the encouragement.