Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Writing Wednesdays


It's Wednesday and I'm at a new coffee shop, still dating around. This week I'm at Common Roots (which I realize I just called it Uncommon Grounds, which is the one I went to last week, and someone looked at me oddly, understandable now). It is in Uptown (a community similar to Hillcrest in San Diego) and it's all natural, homemade everything. www.commonrootscafe.com

This has been a refreshing week so far. I had a really sweet time with the Lord on Monday night and it really has set the tone for this week. I realize how much prayer changes my attitude. I am a completely different person when I am a person of prayer. I desperately missed my prayer partner, Doris, this week. I just love praying with like-minded people, and I am excited that the Lord WILL bring me someone to pray with soon. I trust that. It is through prayer that I receive all I need. I don't know what I am thinking when I am not praying!

My friend Jen encouraged me to read Philippians 3 last night, so I decided to read it while I was at the gym. I've read this passage multiple times, but last night something struck me that has never struck me before. As Paul reminds us how 'qualified' he is in verses 4-6, I had to stop and think...how 'qualified' am I? (and by qualified, I mean outwardly perfect by the law--something which we are NOT supposed to look at for qualification)

"...though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless."

I read this and thought, wow, he had everything right on the outside...but his heart...

Then I asked, did I ever have it all right on the outside? No! Never! Before my conversion, I was so full of flaws, making mistakes all the time. THEN HOW MUCH MORE GRATEFUL SHOULD I BE THAN PAUL IS?! I was speechless. Then the hope comes in verse 7-9.

"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."

I throw all things off--even the things I had right. For it is Christ's righteousness that matters, not one I come up with on my own (that is not even truly righteousness). My only hope is Christ. This should be a daily realization and should give me passion to share the gospel. I have been so humbled by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the electing power of our God lately. I don't understand how a Holy God can choose someone like me, a sinful, wicked being. The complexity of it is beautiful. I don't know if I said this or if I heard someone say this, but I'm saying it now: You cannot apply common sense to God. It just doesn't work.

In case you forgot what I look like, here is me today.

Humbled and loved,
Lindsey

No comments: