Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Power of Words

Hi.

Do you see what I just did there? I communicated with you a greeting. I verbalized what I was thinking. I simply said hi.

I haven't gone insane, I'm just trying to make a point. And my point is that words are amazing. The fact that God created us as talking human beings rather than barking or chirping animals, blows my mind. We communicate through words. Words that have power, passion, emotion, etc. With words we pray, we sing, we read, we welcome a stranger, or comfort an old friend. With words we share love and discover new things. With words we learn and grow. With words we express our emotions, thoughts, and desires.

And with words we profess faith in Jesus Christ. With words (or Word rather), God communicates to us. And with words, all things are held together...

"He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the WORD of his power." Hebrews 1:3

I don't think we realize how privileged we are to speak words...or to hear them, for that matter. If Christ holds all things together by his Word, we should be amazed at the fact that humans even have the ability to use or understand words in general.

This all came to me today when I was taking a walk. I was praying and meandering around a lake by my house today and happened to come across some geese. They were barking/chirping/hissing or whatever they do, and it hit me...here I am talking to God and listening to music (both clearly done with words), and these geese are barking! I was suddenly overwhelmed with gratitude for words. We are unlike any creature on this planet, for we have been made in His image. He has made a people for himself, and he pursues us with mercy. Not only am I humbled and eternally grateful for this, but I am grateful that I can communicate with my God through words. I've never been so excited about speaking. There is power in words. Be careful with what you say, but rejoice in the fact that you can say it!

P.S. The geese were saying something too; I just couldn't understand it...but I'm sure whatever it was, it glorified God. :)

1 comment:

The Fast Family said...

Linds--
This touched my heart! Thanks for sharing!
Amy