Monday, September 24, 2007

Peruvian birthdays

so, everyone wants to know how my bday was...let me just tell you.

for starters, it was the most memorable birthday i've ever had...and will ever have (possibly).

so,for all of you who don't know, peruvians are big on birthdays...really big. usually, when the clock hits 12 am on your day there is celebration and singing. but my family knew i'd be expecting it, so they decided to do it in the morning instead. so at 7 15 am, my host family came into my room with a bunch of balloons, a gift, and an apple pie with a candle burning. then they sang to me, gave me hugs and kisses, and watched me open my gift. then i got ready for the day (i got a shower on my bday!) and headed to monica's for breakfast.

i had a princess crown waiting for me to wear all day at monica's. we had a wonderful breakfast and then praise and worship.

the afternoon was really low key, but the night was crazy. because it was a friday, we had street night. there is a tradition here in peru that people throw eggs and flour on your head on your bday, so i was trying to avoid that. little did i know, some of the boys in the ministry were plotting against me. so after i had handed out sandwhiches to the boys, i saw some commotion behind me. brian came and took my hood and my hat off and said 'deal with it'. so shortly after that, my friends joined in smashing eggs on my head and then pouring flour on me. i looked like a cake. it was pretty great.

then there were hugs and kisses from everyone on the street. i felt very loved, valued, and celebrated. and i took pictures for all of you who would like to see my head covered in eggs and flour.

i will never forget my 23rd birthday in peru.

1 comment:

weishahny said...

oh my gosh, that is amazing! i love birthdays, especially in other nations. i just caught up on your blog, and it's wild how much of the stuff reminds me exactly of thailand, but alot of it is still very different. nonetheless, god is definitely working in y'all, and through you. you have no idea how much an impact you're having on the people there and back home in america just by being in peru. keep up the good work. love and prayers. peace