Tuesday, July 1, 2008

simplicity

i walked to the grocery store today. i have two grocery stores right behind my house, but i really like trader joes and it is about 12 blocks away. so i slipped on an empty backpack, put my ipod on, and began the trek. there is not a cloud in the sky today, so the sun beamed down on me during my walk.

when i got to trader joes, i grabbed a basket and shopped for yummy, healthy food. then i had a pleasant interaction with the man at the register, who's name was benjamin, and i was on my way out again. with a backpack full of groceries weighing me down, i walked slowly. it suddenly dawned on me that this grocery trip was taking more than an hour. i started smiling. i was reminded of my life in peru and how i learned to slow down and simplify. i love that i now live in a place where i can walk to get groceries. i love that i'm not stocking up, but just getting enough for the day or the week. i love that i can interact with more people because i'm walking and not driving. i love that i know my grocery boy's name. i love that i was able to be out in the sunshine enjoying god's nature. i love that i have time for this. i love that i'm here, and life is simple right now. i'm alive and god is alive in me. life is an act of worship and today i got to worship him by just going to the grocery store.

2 comments:

*KJ said...

ahhhh... you must teach me this "simplicity" thing... sounds absolutely amazing. Can't wait to come down there Friday!

dale said...

Merry July 8th!
I haven't been checking lately so I check in today and find you are no longer a resident of the great state of Nebraska - like maybe you are a long closer to the ocean than I am at the moment. Pray your transition continues to go well! Keep your eyes on the Son and keep on dancing!
dale