Thursday, June 5, 2008

discouraged but hopeful

i've been here for a week and two days. i have an apartment that is slowly coming together, but is more than livable. i have been job searching on a daily basis for 9 days (not to mention the 6 months before that). i've gone to the beach twice in the last week. i met a new friend last night. and with all of this, i am still discouraged.

i didn't realize the height of my expectations until i got here. i was thinking, since things were going so slowly in Nebraska, that when i got here things would fall right into place. and quickly. don't get me wrong, we found our apartment quickly and moved in as soon as we could (although it was not quick enough). but this job search is just continuous and relentless. i had an interview a couple days ago and i thought it went really well. then today i got a 'thank you' in the mail from them saying they needed someone with more experience. i just feel so inadequate for everything for which i'm applying. i'm so sick of being rejected.

i know i have a lot to offer. but it's just not in the corporate setting. it's not in making a profit. it's in people. it's in relationships. i need to just be patient and persevere. the problem with patience is that it doesn't pay the bills. and the more patience i have, the quicker my money runs out. god help me, but i'm asking for patience.

2 comments:

Meg Schudel said...

I wish I could give you some of my contentment that came from just having the opportunity to meet you this week!

The job thing sucks. No. Question. You are capable, dynamic, and enthusiastic. Someone IS going to notice. I really found it helpful to do the monster.com thing for the job posts and the advice they had (it helps to know how many other people are going through the job hunt thing too), I also had someone work over my resume and polish it to a shine which never hurts.

Meanwhile, if I can offer you a place of rest from not-yet-arrived furniture, not feeling like cooking tonight, or just renting in and having a cocktail, you and your lovely roommate are welcome anytime at all.
8659 Via Mallorca #109
La Jolla, CA 92037

Nicole said...

Lindsay,

As I was reading John Paul Jackson's blog today you came to mind as I know you are in a time of transition. I thought I would leave his blog site for you as a hopeful encouragement during this time. May God bless in this time of transition.

http://blog.streamsministries.com/
~Nicole