Thursday, June 19, 2008

tinee-weenee-polkadot-bikini

i was at the beach today. the sun was out, i was enjoying the sound of the waves crashing below me, and reading a wonderful book (Bridget Jones: edge of reason). i was wearing my favorite swimsuit, reading a book, when suddenly a shadow hovered over my pages and a voice began to speak.

"i like your swimsuit"

without thinking or looking up from my pages, i began to thank the person above me commenting on my girly swimsuit black and white striped with red polkadots and bows on the sides. but, to my surprise, i look up to see a fifty year-old man WEARING my swimsuit. THE EXACT GIRLY SWIMSUIT!

i quickly look back down at my open book, trying hard not to laugh (or scream). the voice starts in again.

"of course it looks much better on you than me."

i force an awkward laugh and thank you out of my jaw-dropped mouth and glance back up at the man. my eyes, unsure where to look, shoot over to my friend beside me who has her nose buried in her book. i have no escape at this moment and there are no words. so i choose to ignore the man in my swimsuit standing above me, blocking my sunshine. i read the same sentence, what feels like, a million times and the man is still standing there. finally he leaves. i whisper to annie what had just occurred and we laugh for the next hour.

the man pulled up a beach towel about 60 feet from us and began to read a book. i wondered if he was, by chance, reading Bridget Jones too.

i had an unforgettably wonderful day here in california today. below you can see the clearly-female bikini that both my friend and i were wearing. i sure am glad i chose that one this morning when i got dressed for the beach...otherwise it wouldn't have been nearly as great of a day as it was.

1 comment:

*KJ said...

This is too funny! You are such a great story telling b.t.w - maybe you should write a book.... :)