Sunday, June 1, 2008

the first day of a new week

well, i have now slept in my new apartment two nights. i spent the whole day at IKEA yesterday buying furniture. i have plans to meet a new friend on wednesday for sushi. and i just officially changed my address with the post office. i live in san diego.

i've technically been here since tuesday morning, but today is the first day that it feels like i am really starting my life here. as i sit in this coffee shop (that is an amazing one block away from my apartment), i have to ask myself how i got here. i know i've been planning this move for a long time, but now that i'm here i almost can't believe it. i've been so stressed out all week with trying to find an apartment, job hunting, furniture shopping, and everything else. now that i can kinda breathe, i realize how excited i really am. there are just so many opportunities here, so many different types of people, and so much to do.

i am so happy with our decision on apartments. annie and i were torn between two very different places: one was a beautiful two bedroom in a kinda-sketchy neighborhood, and the other was a huge one bedroom in an amazing neighborhood 5 minutes away from everything. we went with the one with location and now, i couldn't be happier. we went to dinner the other night three blocks away from our apartment and met a homeless man named Bill. Bill asked for some money outside of the restaurant and instead of giving him money i invited him in for dinner. bill was a little crazy, but he was so thankful and such a delight to be around (for me at least). bill reminded me of why i moved here. i came here for people like him. i came here to be a friend to the nomads. i came here to share dinner with a lonely soul on the street. i came here to be jesus' hands and feet. and now i'm here and i never want to forget what brought me here. i am humbled that god brought me all this way and has blessed me with so much support with my family and friends. i am where i'm supposed to be.

No comments: