Tuesday, April 1, 2008

april fools!


i was awaken this morning by a text message from my sister that read:

'The wedding's off! Call me.'

rubbing my eyes, and trying to figure out what could have happened between last night and this morning that the wedding would be off, i dialed her number.
she answered the phone, "April fools!"

nice. i have to give it to her--it was probably the best joke i've heard out of her mouth in a while. you see, she's the queen of cheesy, so this one was pretty good.

all in all, my day has been a pretty entertaining one, and it's far from over. i'm sitting at the mill right now and there is the cutest old grandma sitting next to me. she's probably 75, she has a black sweatsuit on and a cute coach purse. the best thing is, she's listening to her mp3 player and doing a crossword, whilst dancing. i love it!

then, to top off my Mill experience, a boy who was sitting across from me when i came in earlier, pulled some hilarious stunt--or was it? he had been sitting across from me for maybe the first 30 minutes of my time here. we hadn't made eye contact once...not once. i took a phone call and was on my computer the rest of the time. he stands up, grabs his stuff and walks over to me. this was our conversation--no joke:

'Excuse me' him
'Yes' me
'I was, um, won...wondering if, um, I cou...could take you out fo...for dinner sometime. (Breath) Wow, that was a lot of stuttering.'
Me, (not knowing how to respond since i didn't even know this kid's name) 'Well, I'm actually planning on moving, but I'm here a lot so maybe next time we're here we can sit and talk.'
'Oh, well can I have your number then?' him (bold as ever)
Me, (still not knowing where the heck this kid came from) 'Well, I typically don't give my phone number out so soon...'
Him, interrupting, 'Then can i give you mine?'
Me, (feeling sorry for the kid), 'Sure, what is it?'

THEN, to end the awkwardness, we shake hands, exchange names, and he walks away. and don't let me forget to mention the silent roomful of people listening to this awkward encounter, trying to hold back laughter.

at any point in that conversation, an 'April fools' could have been added and i would have fallen out of my chair onto the floor, nearly dying of laughter. however, i'm still waiting for the 'April fools'. guess i should be flattered, right? oh, life. how fun.

1 comment:

LReineke said...

ha classic.

poor fellow.